The Search for my Perfect Toyota 4Runner

April 10, 2023

As of April 2023, Toyota has produced 5 iterations of the beloved 4Runner. Each of the generations have received love in their respective era and praise decades after from enthusiasts. Below is a list of generations aligned to their respective years:

  1. First Generation (1986-1989)
  2. Second Generation (1990-1995)
  3. Third Generation (1996-2002)
  4. Fourth Generation (2003-2009)
  5. Fifth Generation (2010-Current)

While I appreciate each of the generations, there has always been a special love in my heart for the 4th generation (Gen). This is probably a surprise to many as its often thought of as the ugly duckling to the group. So why do I have a special place in my heart for it? When I was growing up, it was the newer body and my father actually purchased one new in 2006 (white, SR5, 2-wheel drive, and V6 variant), so its just what I always envisioned a 4Runner should look like.


In 2016, my first car (the Mazda 6) was on its way out mechanically and it was time to look for a new car. After doing some research on different cars, I picked the 4th Gen 4Runner as what I wanted for my next car because it was safe, reliable, and (in my opinion) just a neat car all around. There was one problem, I did too much research and narrowed down my search criteria for what I wanted WAY too far with a minimal budget (~$10,000); essentially I was looking for a non-existent needle in a haystack. Here were my criteria:
  • 2006-2009 (Toyota updated the front and rear end in the 2006 model year and added Variable Valve Timing (VVTi) that produced more power
  • Salsa Red Pearl paint
  • SR5 trim (XREAS suspension on the Sport models was known to fail even then; KDSS on the Limited models would reduce aftermarket lifts and availability if I chose to go that route)
  • V8 (4.7L 2UZ-FE engine known to go one million miles on several occasions now)
  • 4-wheel drive
  • No rust (all generations of 4Runners are notorious for rusting terribly)
  • Clean title
As you can tell, my search criteria is what prevented me from buying a 4Runner; so I ended up going a completely different direction with the 2016 Ford Focus Ecoboost (cute little 1.0L turbo). Over the years, I was never able to find that 4Runner within a reasonable budget or distance.

For years I have been passively searching and in February of 2023 I actually found one...


This is my new to me 2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 in Salsa Red Pearl with 235,000 miles on it. It has the legendary V8 and optional 4-wheel drive system. The frame itself is completely rust-free and it has a clean title (now registered in my name).








Is it perfect? No. The front brakes currently shudder like they are trying to stop the planet's rotation, the radiator is slowly blowing coolant out through the bottom left corner, and the suspension is so far gone that it's surprising it's only 16 years old... Outside of those few callouts, the 4Runner is in pretty good shape both mechanically and cosmetically.

The question that comes to mind is now that I have it, what are my plans? Honestly, I'm not sure yet. Realistically my garage has room for three vehicles. The CX-5 and LX570 will be kept, so the debate comes down to the Miata or the 4th Gen. Which one to keep...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release of 2025 Toyota 4Runner

The Unconventional Thought Processing to LIFT a $100K Lexus LX570!

LX570 Maintenance How-To - Radiator & Associated Items