The Unconventional Thought Processing to LIFT a $100K Lexus LX570!

December 18, 2023

I am going to preface this post with some brief information regarding the Lexus LX570 (and similarly the Land Cruiser 100 Series specifically equipped with the Adjustable Height Control (AHC) system). AHC is a suspension system capable of lowering for easier entry/exit from the vehicle and lifting allowing for more capability off-road. Unlike most other adjustable suspensions, AHC leverages hydraulics rather than air (how must adjustable suspensions operate) to lift and lower the vehicle. As you will soon find out these systems are fantastic when they work, but when they fail it can lead to EXTREMELY costly repairs depending on the specific failure point(s).

The Cannonball Run that Jake and I completed was an unbelievable trip. By the end, we were both absolutely exhausted. But just because we were exhausted did not mean that the automotive escapades would be stopping (or even slowing down)…

Two weeks after arriving home from the trip, I was in north Georgia with my wife's family. While flexing the capability of the Adjustable Height Control (AHC) system to her family, I managed to stress out the system to the point of failure. The aftermath looked as though a baby had a formal toddler-style blowout in a parking lot...


This lead to a nauseating ride home. Here was the picture once I arrived home with my suspension failure:


While this may not look bad, the ride quality of a vehicle riding on bump stops (especially one weighing 6,000 pounds with tremendous body-roll) is truly an awful driving experience.

I started doing research on what to do. Essentially there are two options that I identified (and there is VERY little information on either) specifically around the LX570:
  1. Identify and repair the damaged AHC component(s)
  2. Convert the vehicle to a traditional coil-over (shock/coil) setup 
This was a difficult decision for me because a key aspect of my criteria is around retaining its comfortable ride quality and not diminishing its capability off-road. I decided to go the first route of identifying the issues and IF the failures were isolated to one (or maybe two) points, I would retain the AHC. Only then would I consider a formal suspension conversion.

I began inspecting the car and identified the primary culprit to be a line running from the AHC pump just behind the gas tank to the module(?) underneath the driver's side door area. While this was the primary failure, it was far from the only failure. Upon closer inspection, I counted a total of 3 leaks between shocks and lines. I also found that all 4 globes would be in need of replacement. When it was all said and done, the total cost of components (not including labor) from Lexus would exceed $4,000. Please note this total incorporates cost of replacing ALL shocks, globes and several lines. The AHC system on my car was essentially totaled.

As previously stated if there were more than 2 failures, I would consider going the more extreme direction of converting to a conventional suspension. How would I do this? Well, I knew prior to purchasing that the LX570 is a re-badged Toyota Land Cruiser (200 Series). It shares the same engine (5.7L V8), same transmission, and same architecture under the skin. The primary difference (aside from aesthetics) is the AHC system; the Land Cruiser uses old-fashioned, coil-over style suspension. Simply, I would convert the Lexus to Toyota components.

Since I knew I would be converting to Toyota Land Cruiser components, this also opens the door to all sorts of potential suspension options including take-offs (another person's used components) or lift kits. My criteria was to sustain current road manners and potentially improve off-road capability. That said, I found myself looking at lift kits. If you aren't aware, there's a LOT of options out there and I found myself on Instagram and Google constantly to identify the right option. Here were just a few examples of what I ran across:



This was actually the Lexus J201 Concept car which still used AHC, but just looked incredible. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't admired it a thousand times.

It was now time to start looking for parts... Needless to say, I found them and I love it! In my next post, I'll go through the parts and installation to achieve my new lifted LX570!


In case you needed information on the radiator and associated components needed for replacement, feel free to read this older post on my LX570.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release of 2025 Toyota 4Runner

Revival of the Land Cruiser & Shifting the 4Runner to its Origins?