What is my "Dream Car?"

April 23, 2023


Everyone has an aspirational dream car. If you just go on Google and type in "Dream Car," you will find all kinds of images. For some it's a multi-million dollar Koenigsegg with a hybrid automatic/manual transmission (that I just can't understand), for some it's a Mclaren P1 that was flooded in a hurricane, and for others it's a Jeep Wagoneer they grew up riding in during the 80's that isn't rusted to bits (like this one).


With so many options out there, how can you even figure out what a dream car should be? Fortunately for me, I was able to narrow it down a bit based on my preferences. So what do I like?
  • Newer vehicles (2010+)
  • Lightweight, sports cars focused around handling
  • Japanese products
  • Manual transmission
  • Reliable
  • Modifiable
Based on the criteria above, there are really only a few options:
  1. 2018+ ND2 Miata - as much as I love the Miata, I've already had 3 and actually prefer the NC because of the additional space and how inexpensive aftermarket parts are


  2. Honda Civic Type R/Toyota Corolla GR - like most I love the Type R and Corolla GR, but I love rear-wheel drive and the dynamic that they bring to the table. I also have my LX/4Runner, so I'm not looking for practicality


  3. 2022+ Subaru BRZ/Toyota GR86 - I love the twins and would love to have one (honestly everyone should have one), but it's too lateral of a step from the NC that I currently drive both in driving dynamic and overall power. I want to try something different


  4. Subaru WRX - the interior is bad (but definitely better than it used to be), it weighs too much, and I don't find it to be fun enough. This kind of falls into the Type R/Corolla GR category of also just being too practical

So if it's not one of these great options, what is it? There's really only one option left... The 2023 Toyota Supra with the optional manual transmission.


So many people will question why I want one and 99% of people (especially car enthusiasts) will provide the same reason of "it's not a Toyota, it's a BMW." And you're right, it is a BMW; engine, transmission, infotainment, etc.. But my question for every one of you questioning it is why is that a bad thing? Here's my logic:
  1. Drivetrain
    • BMW has ALWAYS produced engines (especially straight 6-cylinders like the Supra) that are powerful, linear, and smooth
    • Toyota knew that (just like they knew Subaru made a great Boxer engine for the BRZ/GR86), so they consulted with BMW to build a strong 3.0L (called the B58 engine) sports car that could be the proper successor to the 90's Supra with that now legendary 2JZ


    • Now add in that as of 2023 there is a manual transmission option. I don't care if it's a Toyota, BMW, or any other type of transmission because I'm just happy it exists...


  2. Reliability
    • For any friends buying a car, I could not recommend anything less than any BMW product. They suck and have less longevity than a Toyota in the rust belt
    • What makes the B58 different in the Supra is Toyota had a hand in refining an already solid engine. From what I have read, Toyota went so far to disassemble, reassemble, and change things even as minute as torque specs on various bolts in the engine
    • If you don't believe me, here's a video from SavageGeese explaining it better than I can (keep in mind, this is prior to the manual transmission)


  3. Modifications
    • From the day the Supra dropped in 2019, people have said the car is significantly more powerful than its horsepower rating is
    • As of now people have tuned these motors to 600+ horsepower with limited issue
    • My intention is actually not to modify the car, but to keep it stock. The idea of mods being available though is always tempting

The Supra costs around $60,000 with the manual transmission, which given its capabilities is a bargain. Time to do some more flipping in order to end up buying one of these. The goal is to beat Jared from the Questionable Garage at getting one (nothing wrong with some friendly competition)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release of 2025 Toyota 4Runner

The Unconventional Thought Processing to LIFT a $100K Lexus LX570!

LX570 Maintenance How-To - Radiator & Associated Items